Its a big and sometimes overwhelming task to remodel your home. Perhaps one of the most common ways to add a fresh look is with paint, which many people do themselves; and still quite a few others will choose to hire a professional painter. Painting is beautiful when done right, but to make sure its done right, you need the right painter. How do you make sure you hire the right one the first time? Here are some tips for you.
- Ask for proof that they are bonded and licensed. As much as you might want to just be trusting and take them at face value, this is something for which you need to get proof. They should have the right license for your state, and being bonded will ensure things are covered in the event of theft by an employee. Also, if there is a crew involved on the job, you need to make sure they are directly hired by the contractor and not the sub-contractor. This is important when it comes to the bonding and theft coverage.
- They need to be properly insured. This should include liability, and workmans comp if they have employees. You want to make sure you wont be held liable if anyone is injured while working at your home.
- Ask for references and take the time to follow up and check them. Ask questions such as if they were satisfied with the work done, if the workers cleaned up after themselves, if they were happy with the price, and how long the job took. You can find out almost all you need to know through these questions.
- Check online reviews. There are many great review sites such as InsiderPages, Yelp, or SuperPages. Be mindful, however, that sometimes people post negative comments unfairly, so try to get the feel of what the reviews all say at large. You could also check with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints listed against the painter or company.
- Ask how long the painter has been in business. You should also make sure they have extensive experience in the type of job or project you want to have done.
- Make sure you get all quotes in writing. ALWAYS! This will allow you to easily compare from a few different painters. We recommend talking to 3 sources.
- Make sure you understand the small details such as who is responsible for clean up, which brand of paint will be used, if furniture will need to be moved and who will do it, etc.
- Make sure you understand who will repair any damage such as a hole to the wall, etc. If damage occurs and a different professional has to be called in, you need to know ahead of time how that will be handled.
Painting your home can be one of the most fun and least expensive ways to get a new look. Be bold and choose colors you love. And dont forget to put a fresh coat of paint on your baseboards and trims! Not only will you enjoy a new look, but fresh paint just makes a home feel clean and fresh.