Unfortunately, the economic disaster in the housing market of 2008 has caused many homeowners to go into foreclosure and many others to sell their homes. If youre one of the ones moving to sell your current house in a market slammed with houses, you will want to do some things to boost your chances of selling faster. This includes some home improvements and one of the simplest and best is painting. Not only will it increase the value of your home, but it will be one of the cheapest things you can do to breathe new life to the home. Also, you can do it yourself rather than hiring in someone, saving you even more money. Here are some helpful ideas to keep in mind.
Consider the following before beginning the painting project.
- Think about how much longer you will live in your home. If there are several renovation projects to be done, you can do them a little at a time if youll be in your home awhile longer. Painting should be done last so it stays fresh and free of marks, etc. for potential home buyers.
- Make permanent repairs. If there are holes in the wall, be sure to fill them in properly with joint compound or spackling paste before beginning any painting. Sand the area till smooth.
For the money, painting definitely will bring the highest investment return!
- If youre doing a painting job to get the home ready to sell, go with neutral or earth tone colors so people can see their own things in the space easily. Bold colors are fun, but they are very personal in taste, so appeal to the masses and keep it neutral.
- Paint the trim either a stark white or the same color as the paint youve chosen for the walls to keep a consistent flow.
- The last thing to paint should be the trim.
- Moulding can be done ahead of time if youre replacing it. Painting it before you put it back on the walls can make the job easier.
- Be sure to tape off the moulding if it will stay up while you paint the walls. Of course, if you paint them the same color as the walls, this wont matter.
It might be tempting to start adding art or other dcor to your freshly painted walls, but dont give in to it! The goal here is to create a clean look. You want potential buyers to envision their own belongings in the house, so you should endeavor to remove all unnecessary items and furniture, including dcor. Person pictures might be special to you, but they defeat the purpose when youre trying to sell your home.
Create the illusion of storage space by emptying out closets completely and opening them up. You can remove doors to make them look spacious and replace them later.
Finally, if you dont have the skills to do a painting job very well, hire MD Coatingsand let a professional do it right.